Fire breaks out at acclaimed British salmon smokehouse

A fire broke out at Lambton and Jackson smokehouse in Essex.

Halstead Gazette reports that firefighters were called to reports of a fire in an industrial building at Chigboro Farm and Fisheries in Little Totham, Essex, UK at 7.16am last Thursday.

Lambton and Jackson – started in early 2014 by Darcy Lambton and master smoker Sean Jackson – is a highly specialised smokehouse that provides smoked salmon and eel to Michelin-starred restaurants in London and East Anglia.

A brigade spokesman said: “On arrival, crews confirmed that a smokehouse measuring approximately ten metres by five metres was well alight. Firefighters worked hard to extinguished the fire by 7.57am. The cause has been recorded as accidental.”

There were no injuries.

A spokesman for salmon smokers Lambton and Jackson confirmed the fire to SalmonBusiness and told the Halstead Gazette that the fire would not affect the business.

Chigboro Farm and Fisheries Sam Tallowin owner said: “It was a fire in one of the smokehouses. It was there for about 20 minutes. The fire had gone out before the fire crews got here but they still did a thorough check of the area. It seems the duct for the smoker caught fire and spread to the roof. Unfortunately, it also got to some of the electrics. There was a whole batch of smoked salmon in there which was ruined, which is a shame because a lot of work goes into it.”


Related Articles