This is the status of what could become Europe’s largest land-based salmon farm

editorial staff

EUR 330 million Salmon Evolution project aims to be completed by 2023.

This summer, Salmon Evolution received a land-based farming licence of Møre og Romsdal County, Western Norway. The licence implies a maximum standing biomass of 13,300 tonnes and annual production of 28,800 tonnes of salmon. The plant will be located on the remote island of Indre Harøya.

So what has happened since the company got a license in July?

“We have completed two sketches, and set out in stages and full development. Without going to far ahead of ourselves – we can at least find that it’s going the right way. But many things must be in place before we can start construction,” said Ingjarl Skarvøy, General Manager to the publication, Romsdals Budstikke. The company has started recruiting professionals and wishes to start the project in the new year.

According to Skarvøy, what’s most important is to get the funding in place.

“We are now collecting capital for the design and further organisational development. And will get 30-50 million*. The building itself will be quite different. The plan is building start in 2019. We are still talking about an investment of NOK 3.2 billion (EUR 330 million) for the entire development. This in addition to the cost of building a fish farm and perhaps a processing plant when one comes into full production,” said Skarvøy. He added that he had a goal to have the farm completed by 2023.

The main shareholder in Salmon Evolution is Romsdalsfisk, owned by Kristofer Reiten, Per Olav Mevold and Jonny Småge, with 85 percent of the shares. Skarvøy owns the remaining 15 percent.

NOK 30-50 million* (EUR 3.1 million to EUR 5.1 million)


Related Articles