Wellboat “Ronja Viking” damaged after it ran aground in Scotland

Stian Olsen

The crew of five on board the Sølvtrans-owned “Ronja Viking” did not know that there was shallow of 4.5 meters in the area where the wellboat operated. It ended up being grounded.

The “Ronja Viking” was on the way from the Maeey farm site to Uiskavegh on the east side of the Hebrides, Scotland, when the grounding occurred at 14.53 on April 20, this year. The wellboat did not have fish on board.

In this area where the accident occurred. PHOTO: Google

Documents SalmonBusiness has gained access to, shows that the Norwegian Maritime Directorate was notified about the incident just over four hours later that day.

The wellboat, which is contracted with The Scottish Salmon Company, had damage to its ballast tank as well as small holes to fresh water tank after the accident. The boat was returned to Maeey after the grounding so a diver can inspect the ship. There weren’t any leaks to the environment.

Solvtrans-manager Roger Halsebakk confirmed the incident to SalmonBusiness. “That is right. The boat hit a shallow of 4.5 meters which is not marked on the map,” wrote Halsebakk in an e-mail to SalmonBusiness.

Serious enough for the company
According to Halsebakk, “Ronja Viking” had operated in the area before. Other well boats will also have.

“Even those who own farms did not know about this ground,” wrote Halsebakk.

Would you describe this as a “light” or “severe” grounding?

“Serious enough for the company, but no injuries,” Halsebakk replied.

Back in operation
The Norwegian Maritime Directorate has so far not concluded what is the reason for the accident, but Halsebakk says Sølvtrans has informed the Directorate of what they think is the reason.

“Ronja Viking”. PHOTO: Sølvtrans

After the grounding, the “Ronja Viking” was granted permission by British Maritime Authorities to sail to the town of Troon on the west coast of Scotland along with a follow-up boat. The trip took about 20 hours.

In Troon, the well boat has been repaired, and according to Halsebakk it was back in operation last Sunday.


Related Articles